- 250 g gluten free breadsticks LIVE LONG LIVE GREEK with honey and Chios mastiha, crushed
- 100 g melted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 medium apples, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 80 g powdered sugar
- 1 vanillin
- 2 large eggs
- 300 g cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons caramel syrup ready…
- In a large bowl mix the breadsticks with cinnamon. Keep aside 1/3 of breadsticks and add in the rest 2/3 the melted butter. Mix well and lay the basis in medium Pyrex measuring approximately 20 × 30 cm.
- In medium heat in a small nonstick skillet, heat the apples with granulated sugar. Simmer for 20 minutes or until they become soft enough and absorb all the liquid. Withdraw apples from the heat, sprinkle with cinnamon and let them cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees with resistors and prepare the cream cheese. With the mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese until it becomes fluffy, then add the eggs one by one. Careful not to over-beat the mixture and ‘cut’ the cream.
- Then, add the vanillin, the icing sugar and the caramel syrup and continue beating until it forms a thick cream.
- Spread the cream over the breadsticks base and flattens the surface with the back of a spoon. Over the cream lay the apples and sprinkle the reserved, grated sticks.
- Bake the pie for 40 minutes or so and let it cool completely. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to freeze and then enjoy it.
For an even sweeter result, we suggest to pour over the delicious piece of apple pie a little bit of caramel syrup. For the more adventurous, we propose to add a scoop of (gluten free) ice cream of your choice (our proposal is the ice cream with kaimaki flavor!!!).
Did you know that:
- Apple is called the fruit of sin, as it was the cause of which the first people were prosecuted from paradise. In ancient times many people considered it as a symbol of immortality. In Greek mythology, apples were considered to have honey flavor and heal all diseases. In American traditional medicine, apple was described as the “king of fruits”.
- A regular sized apple contains 70-100 calories and no fat.
- In addition, it contains minerals that strengthen bones and protect against osteoporosis.
- Apple helps in proper functioning of the intestines, by containing a large amount of soluble and insoluble fibre.
- Apple, also, prevents decay, and has antiseptic properties that can kill up to 80% of bacteria found in the oral cavity. It also helps the bleaching of the teeth.
- Finally, it protects the brain from Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases, because of the powerful antioxidants it contains.